Posted to rec.woodworking
asmurff asmurff is offline

Default Glue Stain Finish Experiment

Are you really going to try the green tea stain?

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"J T" wrote in message
Fri, Dec 21, 2007, 4:04am (J T) did posted
some 'speermint results:

Today the results look some bettter than they did last night. The
color has darkened a bit, and is now close to what I was shooting for in
the first place. but not quite. However, it does look decent.

The first two test pieces, the coats were put on thick - applied by
right index finger. After 3 coats the grain can still be seen. The
third piece a coat was put on, then wiped off. Then another, thin, coat
was put on - this one looks much better than the other two. The first
coat came out kinda pale pink, the second dried to quite a bit more red,
and the grain is much more in evidence. I'll put another thin coat on
and see how that comes out.

But all n all, I think this method is more of a PITA than it is
worthwhile. Thinning latex to act as a stain, then thinned Titebond, or
Elmers, as a finish is much more rewarding all around. Actually the
last test piece looks very similar to some of the dyed wood pieces I've
seen sold, but I don't find that look especially appealing.

JOAT
My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as
sharp as it used to be.