Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart & Kathryn Fields Stuart & Kathryn Fields is offline

Default Why use heavy oils in gearbox?

Wes: We are driving a 2003 car that if it ever gets below 40mpg at 80mph,
I'm going to start checking it over. Recent trip to Oklahoma and return was
done with the speedo showing 80 in all the 75mph zones even in head winds.
The worst we got was 47mpg. However you can't buy a new one of these in
California. The VW Jetta TDI would have to be degraded to get down to
35mpg. We have a few J*ck*asses in California. BTW the car can exceed
100mph if it has to without exceeding redline.
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Part of the reason I bought that car is that people told me they made
really
nice transmissions and solid engines. I saw inside of my gearbox when my
friendly shop owner had it cracked open and I couldn't believe what I saw.
They slimmed down the case and made the walls so thin that there was
hardly
any flange to support the bearings. The bearings would flex, and there
would
go the transmission.

I've always thought that ATF is used now to bump up the EPA Cafe numbers.
Like how cars that used to use 10w-30 are now spec'd for 5w-30.

If you think walls are thin now wait until they try to meet the 2012 35mpg
CAFE standards.

Listening to the j*ck*sses in Washington claim how the new energy bill is
going to save each citizen lots of money just about made me want to puke.
My
next car will likely rust out before I finish paying for it.

Wes