Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave N Dave N is offline

Default Generator or inverter?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I think that an installation like this is on the cards in the next 20
years actually.

If we do go nuclear - and I think we must - the ability to use off peak
cheap electricity to power cars and houses is very great.

Indeed, but I don't think we should overlook the amount of energy
required by, and the amount of "hothouse" gases emitted during, the
manufacturing processes for heavy duty batteries and electronic control
systems, not to mention heavy gauge wiring with plastic coating and
large copper terminals. SFAIK, metal smelting processes alone require
huge amounts of power and produce toxic gases. Then there is the issue
of recycling heavy metals and plastics when the batteries and control
gear have reached the end of their working lives.

In other words, supplementing the direct consumption of electricity with
stored energy systems in every home will create problems for the
manufacture of sufficient plant irrespective of how the electricity is
generated. In fact the use of wind and wave power by its very nature
implies the installation of large stored energy systems somewhere.

I don't want to appear a doom merchant but I do believe that such
matters are significant. I suspect that I am only now beginning to
grasp the scope of problems created by an exponential growth in the use
of energy by mankind. If I am totally misguided, I would be grateful
for correction.

--
Dave N

N.B. Mail to nospam is rejected. Use the Reply-To which does work.