Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default log burner

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:46:30 -0800 (PST), Staffbull wrote:

We have a sealed system here on the C/H, so I take it the neutraliser
is out.

I don't think sealed per se prevents the use of a neutraliser but the
combi does as you have no stored ho****er, thus nowhere to dump the heat
from the boiler when there is no demand. Combis, 'orrible things no power
= no hot water or CH and a failed water supply = no water.

I'm thinking of fitting just the two rads in the halls (up and down)
and using a pump for circulation,

You don't want the pump, the power goes, no circulation in log burners
boiler, it boils (may explode or suffer damage), to prevent that you have
to shut the log burner down sharpish just when you want it as your backup
heat source...

The loop from boiler to upper heat sink (rad or cylinder) needs to be free
flowing without pumps or valves. You could pump another loop down to the
lower rad though.

hassle would be thinking of running pipes all the way up to the
roofspace for a vent/expansion tank.

22mm vent and 15mm feed are probably easier than a 28mm gravity loop from
the boiler to the upper rad.

I take it a double skinned liner isnt going to be cheap :-(

Yep, but I'm not expert on what the regs say is required. Have a dig about
the web.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail