Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] post2google@yahoo.com is offline

Default How to seal bottom of uninsulated wall?

On Dec 20, 10:25*pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:
You probably can do two things. *Close up the chase. *Get some wood and
close it up. *Use something that won't burn like a small piece of paneling
of some sort. *Then caulk around it and where the wall touches the
foundation. *You'll probably cut a lot of breezy areas and it will be
warmer. *It'll take time. *Work on the coldest spots first.

wrote in message

I noticed a nice cool breeze in the basement.
Turns out that it's one of those old homes with
no insulation in the walls, where it's open in places
all the way from the attic to the basement. Someone
back in the distant past appears to have stuffed
doubled over carpet in the basement ceiling
at the wall.

What should I use to do the seal properly, and
get rid of the decaying carpet. I considered spray
foam, and some books I looked at recommended
stuffing fiberglass in the hole, but I am leary of using
fiberglass in areas I might be wandering around in.

Any ideas?

-P- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking, spray the gap with low expansion
Great Stuff, maybe embeding a short piece of
1/2 inch pvc pipe a few places in case somehow
water ever came down from above (attic leak
or whatever). That foam stuff is pretty much
permanent though, which may be a problem some
day.

Your wood and caulk solution sounds more
"reversible". Thanx.

-P