Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Has anyone ever replaced their conventional furnace fan motorw...

On Dec 21, 11:09*am, (lp13-30) wrote:
Actually, the main benefits from a true variable speed are comfort and
noise reduction. Energy saving is just a fringe benefit. What you are
wanting to do is certainly possible. You could retrofit a Model T engine
to electronic fuel injection with enough time and money. I seriously
doubt you are going to find an ECM for any where near $200 though. Fwiw,
we have installed a lot of variable speed furnaces and air handlers
(mostly Trane, Amana and Carrier) and I have not heard of any problems
with electrical noise at all. *Good luck with your project if you go
thru with it. Larry

I checked comparitive airflow and watts consumed at the Lennox site
years ago, I saw a 20% increase in efficency. The motor was 600, not
200$, Noise will be introduced from non shielded wiring and
electronics into your tv, I think Trane had an issue with that a few
years ago. As a retrofit my lennox dealer said no, at least you wont
get any variable speed which is what the whole deal is about, a low
speed on AC mode 50% more moisure is removed. I looked into doing it
and decided it was not worth it.