Posted to alt.home.repair
averydarkplace averydarkplace is offline

Default Linoleum Tiles Over Real Tiles on Bathroom Floor

I want something with zero maintenance and have my doubts about
linoleum tiles.

My bathroom has old black and white 2" ceramic tiles from the 1940s.
I'm thinking of covering them over with linoleum tiles and wondering
if I'm going to end up with a big problem. The existing tiles that
meet the walls are curved, so none of the tiles will press flush
against the walls. It's a small bathroom and we don't generally mop up
pools of water after getting out of the shower.

What kind of care do I need to take with these tiles once they're
installed? Do I have to worry about water leaking behind the tiles and
making mold. What about or scuffing? My wife and I aren't the most
careful people. What about occasional replacement of one or two tiles?
What's the lifespan of such a floor? I don't want to have to replace
this stuff every five years along with all the careful measuring and
cutting.

I'd rather leave it the way it is, but my wife wants the bathroom
pretty. But we don't want to end up with a pile of ugly mangled
plastic permanently glued to a perfectly usable floor.