Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Can I remove my oil tank gauge by myself?

On Dec 21, 7:34 am, shebaaa wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:49:25 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the
gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench
to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in-
law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is
there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What
I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force
actually breaking the threads.

The gauge has a lever and float attached to it. I believe the tank
must be empty in order for the gauge lever to be pointing down. If
not you will break the lever off when removing the gauge.

no, you want to pull up on the gauge so the float is folded over. they
don't go straight when empty they always have some angle on them.

If the tank is 30 to 50 years old one better be careful when using force
the tank is probably getting weak. The best advice is as stated
spraying something on it that will penetrate the rust and then remove
it. if you ruin the threads be prepared to install a new tank.

that scares me. I don't think anything I spray on it is going to
penetrate the seal because there is some kind of painted on sealant on
it that looks like gray paint. I really don't want to have to spring
for a new tank right now, is there any other way to gauge how much oil
is in the tank? There is no other available hole to put a separate
gauge. I tried just knocking on it but I really can't tell the
difference, it always sounds a little hollow.