Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

In article zaQaj.261484$Fc.202074@attbi_s21,
Chuck ! wrote:
It's nearly too late now since the new TV's have AVL built-in to adjust
volume increases during commercials, but I am very surprised nobody ever
built a "good" add-on aftermarket volume-leveler all these years. Why
would it be so hard to build a good yet inexpensive one?

Have you heard the results of these built in ones? Ok, I suppose, if your
standards stop at AM radio quality.

The snag with this sort of device is it has to have a fast attack time to
work and a fairly slow recovery. And will work on any programme peak - not
just commercials. Make it fast attack and fast recovery and background
sounds will pump up and down - most unpleasant.

The *only* way you can get smooth transitions between the vast variety of
programme material - and the variety of commercials - is buy having a
human rehearse that transition and adjust things accordingly. (Advertisers
- who fund the programmes - would not be happy if their product was
quieter than the progs). But playout systems are largely automated these
days to save on labour costs.

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.