Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Router suggestions?

"BillM" fired this volley in newszQaj.72$we6.43
@trndny09:
OK on vacuum. Plastic
is probably going to be LDPE sheet in the .050"-.065" range.
Probably not something
a laser would work well on.

WARNING, Will Robinson; WARNING!

LDPE and HDPE are _N_A_S_T_Y_ to route on the CNC machine! It can be
done with very special flighting on the bits, but it's a nightmare with
regular woodworking bits. The top edges flay and form burrs that cannot
be removed except manually or by a separate top-finishing pass (doubling
or tripling your route-path time).

If you have not yet tried these materials in such a rig, I'd suggest you
find someone else who's CNC'ing the material on a similar machine, first,
and get some pointers.

We tried it... Tony gave up before I would have, but I didn't blame him
much.

LLoyd