Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default log burner

On 21 Dec, 16:31, robgraham wrote:
On 21 Dec, 16:04, Staffbull wrote:

Hi, I am thinking of opening up a fireplace I bricked up in the small
living room and fitting a log burner in there, mainly due to the
number of power cuts we are having and also it should save some money,
we live on the edge of a large woods, and timber is in abundance, so
with oil at 40p a litre we could do with cutting down.

*with fitting a log burner can I get away with putting a S- steel pipe
up a way (couple of metres up the chimmeny? or do I have to have it
all the way to the pot, or do I have to have the chimeney re lined
(currently red brick)

I have also seen them with small boilers attached, so could do with
one of these to fit a rad in the downstairs and upstairs halls, I take
it I would need to plumb it in using an open tank system for
expansion? that would be a downside as the loft is WELL insulated so
the roofspace would get the effects of the cold without the help of
rising heat from the house.

I also miss the open fire !!

I can't answer your chimney question, not my area. *But the radiators
- you'll be able to gravity feed the upper hall one but I doubt you
will be able to do that with the lower one, unless your living room is
below the downstairs hall, so that would require a pump with all the
associated gubbins.

Also remember that if you are adding a heat source that the radiators
in the involved areas will require TMV's - and if you've made the same
mistake as me, you'll find that the radiators you want to upgrade
don't have isolators on them. *In my case the TMV had gone faulty and
it was either drain down totally or have a fight fitting the isolators
using Arctic Spray ! *Arctic Spray does work and actually in the
current weather conditions for over twice as long as the tin says.

The other way to go is to do the whole integration exercise and either
use a heatbank with two pairs of inlets, or fit a Dunsley Neutraliser
as a heat blending tank from both sources. *What you can't do is just
to connect one to the other.

Rob- Hide quoted text -

MMm sounds interesting, are you saying there is a way I can connect
the log burner to my current sealed CH system (oil combi boiler), if
there is that would be top banana!!