Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default log burner

Hi, I am thinking of opening up a fireplace I bricked up in the small
living room and fitting a log burner in there, mainly due to the
number of power cuts we are having and also it should save some money,
we live on the edge of a large woods, and timber is in abundance, so
with oil at 40p a litre we could do with cutting down.

with fitting a log burner can I get away with putting a S- steel pipe
up a way (couple of metres up the chimmeny? or do I have to have it
all the way to the pot, or do I have to have the chimeney re lined
(currently red brick)

I have also seen them with small boilers attached, so could do with
one of these to fit a rad in the downstairs and upstairs halls, I take
it I would need to plumb it in using an open tank system for
expansion? that would be a downside as the loft is WELL insulated so
the roofspace would get the effects of the cold without the help of
rising heat from the house.

I also miss the open fire !!