Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Heat Pump comments

wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:28 pm, dpb wrote:

I should add that geothermalheatpumps are a whole different animal.
They are very expensive, but if installed properly I believe they
would be very efficient and useful down to colder outside
temperatures ...

Yes

... (although still noisy).

No. The removal of the air source to the recirc fluidpumpmakes all
the difference in the world. It's the air exchanger that's the noisy
component and it goes away.

Well, there's quiet, and then there is quiet. Truthfully, I don't
have a geothermal HP (do you?) and have never seen one.

Yes, I had one for several years. It was virtually inaudible running
over the typical fan air movement noise. As compared to an air-exchange
unit or even a typical A/C exchanger it was what I would classify as
silent. (Moved is reason for the "had" -- am looking at replacement
furnace now and ground-loop is certainly in the consideration).

And, your complaint of the air/air exchange heat pump goes away -- the
air at the outlet feels nice and toasty -- not quite natural gas hot,
but no "wind chill" factor at all. (The loop in the TN house replaced
an air exchange unit so I have that to compare to by direct experience,
too.)