Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor strengthening: is this a really stupid idea?

wrote:
On 20 Dec, 13:15, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I would have to support the existing joists from above - probably with
hangers, rather than from below by a length of 4x2 nailed onto the
side of the beam.

Ah. So thats the 'ugliness'. Th 4x2 nailed to the beam..

It's hideous, and gets worse every time I look at it.

I thought doubling the height tripled the stiffness. I'd be happy with
1.5 times the stiffness. The floor isn't really that bouncy. I would
put the new joists in the walls, and supplement the beam with 4x 4x2s
on top of it. ( actually, I could probably squeeze in 4 x 6x2s as the
top of the beam is below the top of the joists.)

Sounds Ok tho I can;'t quite picture it.

It's too horrible even to imagine! Basically the old beam is approx.
8"x8". The 4x2s support nailed to it are about 3" from the top of the
beam, so the joists that sit on the support project above the level of
the beam. I told you it was nasty. My guess is that this was done in
the 1930s when the then residents had different priorities from today.

I know that it's all a bit unorthodox, but this whole place is
unorthodox.

All the more fun.

I'm afraid the fun aspect of this renovation is dwindling; just as is
my wallet and my wife's patience!

I'd just buold a new floor completely to modern standard well above the
existing one, and prettify what's underneath,

That's probably an even better idea. It will be hard to get it past
the wife, as although we have plenty of ceiling height (far more
upstairs than down), the windows are quite low. If I went up more than
about 5" in total, she'd definitely notice and complain!

Well how about 7x3s notched 3" over the main beam..that gives you 4"
above and 3" below..leavening space to both put in a plasterboard
ceiling underneath, and screw some 6x2 oak underneath to make it look
pretty.

Plenty of room for cables you get a nice flat floor above, and
underneath its all either flat plain plaster, or plaster with fake (non
structural ort not VERY structural) oak beams. The alternative is 10x6
oaks and battens and a bitch of a pastering job.

Really I'd take the lot down and build a new ceiling/floor with a void.

It goes quite fast..and its not THAT expensive either.

Regards