Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alan.b2@live.com is offline

Default Heat Pump comments

On Dec 20, 10:28*pm, dpb wrote:

I should add that geothermalheatpumps are a whole different animal.
They are very expensive, but if installed properly I believe they
would be very efficient *and useful down to colder outside
temperatures ...

Yes

... (although still noisy).

No. *The removal of the air source to the recirc fluidpumpmakes all
the difference in the world. *It's the air exchanger that's the noisy
component and it goes away.

Well, there's quiet, and then there is quiet. Truthfully, I don't
have a geothermal HP (do you?) and have never seen one. I have heard,
which makes this second hand, that they can sound like an elevator
motor (whatever that sounds like). Based on my experience, I would
recommend witnessing a live, operating HP in your neighborhood to
anyone considering an installation. You, and your installer, will be
happy you did.

I clipped a bunch for brevity, but I'd disagree on the assessment of
suitability based on amount ofsnowand how long it stays around. *It's
the temperatures and the temperature profiles that matter, not the
amount of precipitation and/or its form. *One doesn't necessarily imply
the other. *It's colder than blazes here a lot of the time, but it snows
almost never when it is cold and annual snowfall can be from none to
feet, just depending on the year. *Need a qualified installation
calculation to judge.

Sure, all I'm relating is my personal experience and using the
information offered by the original poster to draw comparisons, it's
all I've got.