Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Heat Pump comments

I should add that geothermal heat pumps are a whole different animal.
They are very expensive, but if installed properly I believe they
would be very efficient and useful down to colder outside
temperatures ...

Yes

... (although still noisy).

No. The removal of the air source to the recirc fluid pump makes all
the difference in the world. It's the air exchanger that's the noisy
component and it goes away.

I clipped a bunch for brevity, but I'd disagree on the assessment of
suitability based on amount of snow and how long it stays around. It's
the temperatures and the temperature profiles that matter, not the
amount of precipitation and/or its form. One doesn't necessarily imply
the other. It's colder than blazes here a lot of the time, but it snows
almost never when it is cold and annual snowfall can be from none to
feet, just depending on the year. Need a qualified installation
calculation to judge.