Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Can I remove my oil tank gauge by myself?

On Dec 20, 8:49*pm, Joe wrote:
I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the
gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench
to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in-
law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is
there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What
I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force
actually breaking the threads.

Use some penetrating oil, but the tank is thick and should hold
easily, last week my boiler guy cranked on our 60 yr old boiler, it
worked. Worst is you get a thread tap..So get a long pipe for leverage.