Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default viewing spray patterns

On 2007-12-21, DT wrote:
In article , says...

DT wrote:
Our photog set up a nifty device at work many years ago, Probably not what

you

need for this task, but worth mentioning. He mounted a 35mm camera on a

plate
with a motor driven disk in front of the lens. The disk was about 6 inches

in
diameter and had several radial slots about 1/8" wide. He could run the

motor
at variable speeds. As an example, he set the camera for perhaps 1/2 second,
and spun the disc such that 10 slots passed the lens in that half second.

[ ... ]

Nope, I'm familiar with rotating mirror high speed cameras, we also had them
for ultra high speed work. This was a fairly simple to make device. I can't
remember if it was shop-built, but it would be feasible to make it yourself.
And it had multiple images of the action on *each* frame, very nice.

I've seen devices with *two* rotating discs. The faster one had
multiple slots around its diameter. The slower one (geared to the
faster) had only one, so you got fewer exposures per second, but still
just as short.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |