Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Ashby Michael Ashby is offline

Default Battery terminals

"ransley" wrote in message
My 6 yr old car Volvo has the original battery and perfect terminals
sprayed with something red that has kept them corrosion free, but I
need a new battery and want it done right. On the other car a 91 my
terminals corrode so they must be cleaned anualy, I have ruined the
soft lead by cleaning them so often on the battery and cable that I
had to put in sheet metal because they would not tighten. How do you
completely treat connections on the battery so no corrosion occurs,
ever. My batteries were replaced by pro shops, Delco, but I say they
screwed up since my 2002 still has no corrosion, but it now needs
replacing and I want to do it right on this replacement so I get no
corrosion in a year or so.

Red stuff is an anti-corrosive protectant spray; can be found at any auto
parts supply house; clean terminals with baking soda (or store bought
corrosion cleaner) and wire brush; you won't have any more problems and will
extend the life of your battery terminals and cables .