DoN. Nichols

Default slightly OT - how to make a vacuum from an air supply

In article ,
Norm Dresner wrote:
"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .

[ ... ]

http://www.hyvac.com/Products/O_pump...uri_vacuum.htm

Okay, it's neat -- but the smallest version is $100 and I can buy a full
desoldering station for $200 so tha's hardly an economical solution.

So -- make your own. It's not rocket science. Do you have a
lathe? The basics a

| |
|_______________ ________________|
\ /
Air \____________/ Air
In Out
____________
/ || \
_______________/ || \________________
| / \ |
| | | |
+--------------------- ----------------------+
Vacuum port

I'll leave it to you to select the proper threads for the various
fittings, and the size to suit. I would probably start with a 1"
diameter piece of bar stock, and use a pretty small pipe thread for the
vacuum port. If you need a larger port, increase the size of the stock
to make sufficient room for the threads.

It would benefit from a smoother curve at the start of the
restriction and at the exit from it, but this should be sufficient to
give you some vacuum. It will be noisy, so run the air-out away from
you with another hose.

The basic principle is air in with large diameter, reduced
diameter where the vacuum port is, and then back to large diameter.

Material ideally should be bronze or stainless steel, but brass
or aluminum would work for a shorter time, or even plain steel, as long
as your air supply is nicely dried.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564