Posted to sci.electronics.repair
virtualmarc virtualmarc is offline

Default need help with Tube amp mod

DaveM wrote:
These are class A amp stages, and should not draw grid current. A 100K resistor
from grid (pin 2) to ground should be good. Don't change C8, or any other
components until you try your mod. You probably won't get the same effect from
the rhythm drive control as you get now, but it's up to your ears whether it's
acceptable. If you can find a copy of the user's manual for this amp, it might
explain the intended operation of the controls. Like it or not, what you're
experiencing might be the way it was designed to operate.

Thanks Dave. Your "class A" comment has really
clarified things. I see now that my mod would
completely screw up the volume control in rhythm
mode. Based on your comments, I think a better way
to get the "color" to work, might be moving R9 to
be in between CR2 & Q1, like this:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/beaumac/new1.gif
Any thoughts?

Thanks again, and Seasons Greetings!!!