Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default How are box-jointed pliers made?

Yes, I suppose the box half could have been made in two pieces, forge
welded together after being closed around the other half. But forge
welds are generally considered not quite as strong as the parent metal.
And, although the idea of drifting the square hole open to round
after initial forming may sound foriegn to non-blacksmiths, we get used
to extreme hot forming and shape change.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Now there is such a thing as forge welding, isn't there? The monkey
wrenches I'm thinking of are "Trimo" brand. They have a channel which is
box-shaped in cross-section. I've seen one with a crack along the centre
of the channel from overloading. Whether these were forged solid and
later had the channel milled out, or whether the channel was forge
welded, I don't know. Anyone know for sure?

I don't own one, but I'm tempted to buy one now just so that I can
inspect it.

Best wishes,

Chris