Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default viewing spray patterns

Jim Stewart wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
I am working on a spray nozzle design, and I would like to be able to
view the spray pattern in stop motion. This is not a get rich sort of
deal, more of an experiment so the funds for anything exotic is not
going to happen. To this point I have been using the macro setting on
a 4 Megapixel digital camera with flash and it gets a pretty good
image. Since I have a few automotive tools around, I have also been
using a timing light driven by an ignition module tester. This works
very well to get a visual of the spray pattern and droplet size also,
but very clumbsy.

One thing that would help me is if I were to have 4 timing lights
flashing simutaniously from beneath the nozzle.

The circuit used now to drive the timing lights is overly complex, and
I would rather look to some sort of strobe light driver to flash 4
strobes.

Can anyone add some insight or positive feedback to this query?

I found blue light the most dramatic for testing spray patterns.

Make sure the light does not shine at the camera, and if possible have a
dark background.

I was testing the spray pattern of a nozzle for a homemade burner, and
spraying oil/alcohol mixtures as well as water. White light just didn't
work as well, for whatever reason.

I have no facts or evidence that this would
help - but - I'd try a polarizing filter as

It doesn't really make any sense, but there was a big difference in how
the pictures came out. It was with a plain canon digital camera, and a
maglite with a blue LED bulb replacement. That worked better than all
sorts of other lighting arrangements, including strobes, and the typical
100 and 200 watt bulbs in the aluminum reflector clamp on things.

I was using an impinger type nozzle from Bete, and except for lots of
dripping, it matched what the catalog claimed it would do.

They really aren't joking about don't use teflon tape. It will have pieces
tear off, and it will clogs things fast.