Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default How are box-jointed pliers made?

Not quite. They forge both parts to roughly the finished shape. Then
reheat the part that has the box, open the box up enough to insert the
other half through the hole, then, after positioning the halves in the
correct position, forge the parts together. Since this is done below a
welding heat, no bond forms. One reheats the whole thing and forges
the assembly to final shape. Then, the hole is drilled for the pin.
The pin is riveted into place. Then it's file or grind until done.
Pete Ross, previous master blacksmith and manager of the
Williamsburg blacksmith shop for many years makes them often. He says
you only need to make about 25 pairs of box tongs to get good at it.
I bought a completed pair, a pair that are ready to rivet and the
two blanks needed to make another pair at a blacksmith auction in
Asheville, NC some years ago. I had watched him make them.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm curious. I have a pair of box-jointed pliers made by CK. If I was to
remove the pin from the joint in the pliers, the joint still wouldn't
come apart because the shape of the two halves of the joint holds it
tightly together. I can only assume that the two halves start out as
three forged components, which are then ground and assembled, and lastly
a permanent joint is made somewhere by hot forging or resistance
welding. But the joint isn't visible at all. I've seen a similar joint
in some monkey wrenches, but it's not so intriguing as the monkey wrench
can still be taken apart.

Does anyone know how this is achieved?

Best wishes,

Chris