Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Sink/pedestal fit?

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom, and went to fit the sink
today, and found that it wouldnt sit flat on the pedestal.

I think that the pedestal is not intended to be the main support of the
sink - it is there to conceal the pipes.

The sink I have fixes to the wall by some seriously large bolts (the
previous one I did was not as good - used screws and wall plugs).

As far as I can see you fix the sink to the wall, then slip in the pedestal
and then seal any gaps with white silicone to make it look pretty.

Given that it is not supporting the sink, wobble should not be an issue.

Well , I took it back, and was told it was quite normal for them to not
fit. Few of them fit out of the box apparently.
He said the usual way is to bed both the bottom and top of the pedestal
with putty, and add putty until the basin sits level on it.If the gap is
too large, you get some wedges to hold it up, and pack it with
putty.Silicone is too soft, and compresses too easily to use it there.
I still think the one we had was either the wrong one, or such a bad fit
that it should have been rejected.
So I bedded it with the putty he gave me, and although reasonably level,
it is not on the centre of the pedestal, which isnt really a problem,
unless you are a perfectionist.
I'm not too sure that the weight of the basin can be held by the screws
near the bottom - the basin wall thickness is less then 10mm there, with
25mm of body around it. It does need the pedestal to support it (well,
this one does), then the screws are added to make sure it doesnt move
once seated on the putty. There are also 2 screw holes at the pedestal
base, for which you need to be a contortionist to get screws into.
Alan.