Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default New Jatoba Staircase installed and finished (w/pics)

wrote:
I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA

After going round and round, I tore mine out and replaced the whole
deal, lock, stock, and barrel. In hindsight, it came out far better
than any of the other ideas would have.

Get some quotes. While I was thinking of workarounds, a respected
local stair builder gave me a quote that made it not worth my
aggravation to "learn by doing". As a side benefit, the pro shop came
up with some of the clearest, straightest grain, stringers I've ever seen.

I got to sand the last grit, apply the finish and stringer moldings,
build the newell and railings, and move on with the rest of the house.
I still haven't installed the railings, as I'm still carting hardwood
doors up and down the stairs.

Total time without upstairs access? 9 hours on install day, and 4 more
over two finishing days. G