Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default New Jatoba Staircase installed and finished (w/pics)

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

In the first two shots you can see the old staircase in the background
through the old dining room doorway into the main hall. That was the day I
took possession of the house.

My plans to take a 30 year old house and turn it into a 80-100 year old open
concept are taking shape...

Very nice!

I did exactly the same project in July, in a different wood. My house
is only 12, though.

There was NO WAY I could have made the existing staircase work with all
the new work, so out it went on a recip saw.

Don't beat yourself up over the time estimates. I've found that small
areas, like stair landings, nooks, and small closets, take far more time
to install flooring than we estimate. No chance to build a rhythm, and
it seems like every board gets cut! My upstairs closets have sloped
ceilings, so the last 12-16" of flooring got installed with me on my belly.

Keep it up!