Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default solid state relay? - FOUND

Thanks to all, I found a nice DC-DC relay at NAPA for about nine bucks.
Now I can run real skinny wire up the welding lead, doesn't have to
carry 2 or 3 amps.

GWE

Grant Erwin wrote:

There is an idle solenoid mounted on the side of the carburetor. When it is
energized, it pulls the governor arm to an idle position. When it is
de-energized, it releases the governor so it goes to the weld position.

This idle solenoid has a coil resistance of 5.6 ohms, so run from 12V will
draw about 2 amps DC.

This is what I want to control. The power I have available to switch on or
off to a relay coil is just 12VDC, basically a car battery.

This is a gas engine coupled to a welder, a relatively crude machine.

Azotic already posted that my relay won't work to switch a DC load. Now I'm
trying to find one that will, hopefully that won't break the bank.

Coil voltage: 12VDC
Load voltage: 12VDC

Thanks, Grant

Mechanical Magic wrote:

Grant,
SSR's draw very little control current. A 9-12V battery will last a
long time, and will fail "off", no resistor needed.

You don't say what you want to control, the generator must have some
control inputs, but, I'm stumped.

More info please.
Dave

On Dec 16, 8:56 pm, Grant Erwin wrote:

I'm still working on getting my idle control working on my old Miller
gas-powered welder. (Kohler 16hp motor.) The idle control module is
dead,
no replacements are available anywhere I've found, but the idle solenoid
on the motor still works.

So I'm going to wire a switch velcroed to my stinger. I figure for
now I'll
just run a pair of wires down each piece of welding lead, make the
connections
with spade lugs, and run the wires to the input of a small relay
which will
switch current on or off to the idle solenoid.

I have several identical SSRTs in my junkbox. They are Potter &
Brumfield part
no. SSRT-120D10. Here is a data
sheet:http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem..._SSRT_0303.pdf

The control terminals are expecting between 8.5mA and 14mA current at
between
3-32VDC. The output can carry 10 amps rms at 110VAC.

What I want to know is if I can use this in the following way:

run 12VDC to the control inputs, with 1k ohm current limiting
resistor in series
switch 12VDC 2-3 amps load current

I'm certain that there is another part better suited to my
requirement. My
question is whether I can make this one work.

If the output can handle 110VAC why couldn't it handle 12-14VDC?

Is a car battery through a 1kohm resistor sufficiently like a 12mA
current
source?

Grant