Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Removing frozen bolt

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:48:59 -0800, "SteveB"

.net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip----

A lot of times in such situations, there is NO solution. It's a coin
flip. It'll work or it goes in the trash. But when there's a chance to
snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, one final try, it's nice to give
it your best shot of whatever you got.

It's also nice when it works.

That it is.

Next time you face a similar situation, and the part can be placed in a
small container, lose all those other methods and soak the item in Coke,
or other cola drink. Even 7-Up. The phosphoric acid will dissolve the
corrosion, allowing the parts to be taken apart with fingers.
Penetrating oil may lubricate the joint, but it does little towards
actually dissolving the crud that makes things stick.

Wash with solvent first if the parts are oily.

Harold

Never would have thought of that. I have some old license plates that go
back to the twenties. They sell a phosphoric acid solution for soaking
them, but it's spendy. I'll try a soak in a Coke.

Steve

Or go to your plumbing supply and buy Resin Cleaner. Blue stuff -
about $16 a gallon and identical to the auto-body stuff that sells for
about $90.