Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mark@localhost.com is offline

Default How's it done? No skirting boards

On 20 Dec, 13:13, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Dec 20, 12:26 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.
How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.
Use battens and remove when plaster is set.

Then install flooring of a depth 10-15mm less than the battens were..

But why? Just seems like a huge dust trap to me, or is it "fashion" or
"design"?

Cheap.

Not according to this:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/Design...on=View&ID=220

"In other words, if you don't think you can get them right, don't
attempt them in the first place. They can be so time consuming and
labour intensive that you may ask if they are worth the bother."