Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sharpening chisels

wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:59:07 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Buy yourself a cheap offer two stone (coarse and fine) bench grinding
wheel. Not an angle grinder!

Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I'm a bit embarrassed that I
mentioned angle grinders. I had not appreciated that a bench grinder
and angle grinder rotated at different speeds.

I knew an angle grinder was not the way to go because it seems you
would need three hands to do the job: two to hold the angle grinder
and one to hold the chisel. Clamping the angle grinder is dangerous
but so too would be clamping a chisel with the pointy bit (however
blunt) sticking up. I knew there had to be a better way, hence my
post.

Some people seem to be for doing it all by hand, others suggest a
bench grinder. I'm not sure if there's a clear majority one way or the
other.

Some posts were concerned that the grinder would overheat the chisel.
Is this only the case if it is a dry grind? Does a wet grind prevent
this?

You can grind dry & just dunk the chisel in water every now & then to keep
it cool.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk