Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default How's it done? No skirting boards

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.

How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.

Use battens and remove when plaster is set.

Then install flooring of a depth 10-15mm less than the battens were..

But that gives a very weak edge, one that is going to get chipped when
kicked or when the hoover is knocked against it. A stop bead provides
some protection, in much the same way as a corner bead does.

Andrew