Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

big snip

In other words, you're getting a highly skewed view from the discussions
here. This is a very concentrated dose of gun-related discussion and
activity. The philosophies of carrying a concealed gun you'll hear in
this place are not necessarily odd, but they're not majority views. Most
Americans are a lot more like you in that regard. But not completely.
We'll usually make a stronger case for self-defense, even though most of
us will never encounter a need for it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks for that post, Ed.
Aussies like me, who learnt everything we know about the USA from:
(1) The Simpsons,
(2) Letterman, and
(3) newsgroups like this,
sometimes forget that the vast majority of 'merkins are just reg'lar folk
who *don't* bristle with armaments.

Its always a relief to be reminded that *some* of the regular posters on
this group are not necessarily representative of the whole.

--
Jeff R. in Sydney

Knowing how you guys get your information about the US makes me almost want
to cry. And the same is true in the other direction. The way the media work
today (and for as long as I can remember), there's no way we'll get a
realistic view of each other from media alone. In 1968 I spent most of the
year in Europe and got my news from French (state) television. When I heard
the stories about the US there it sounded like a revolution had occurred
while I was gone and there was a civil war going on.

Turn off the TV, and life in the US is not very dramatic. Mostly it's pretty
dull unless you work really hard at making it exciting.

BTW, as long as you're going to watch a twisted version of life in the US,
turn off The Simpsons and start watching South Park, if your censors allow
it there. It's a really subversive cartoon. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress