Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Switch plate screws - where to buy?

Bob wrote:

Have ivory switch plates & receptacle plates throughout the house.
Over the years, the paint on the screws on the switch plates wears
off and looks bad. This is probably due to wear when people put
their hands on the whole switch plate instead of only the toggle
part. I have exchanged several with the screws with receptacle
screws (which don't get the wear). But, am out of receptacles to
swap screws with.

I'd like to buy some new screws; checked with hardware store (ACE)
and big box stores. They don't know of any individual screws for
sale.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Bob-tx

I have purchased screws, either at Lowes or HD. We had old ivory
receptacles and plates, made
uglier from 35 yrs aging. I went throught the paint thing just to
change the plates and have screws to match, with
the ugly receptacles remaining. Then I found the new screws at the
local box store. When we had a couple
of rooms painted, the painter suggested spray painting the receptacles,
which I did. Used my handy Preval sprayer,
as it doesn't have as much overspray as spray cans of Krylong. I made a
template from cardboard to shield the
wall, and stuck a short piece of folded paper into each slot of the plug
to keep paint out. Paper just long enough
I could get hold of it to pull it out and it didn't significantly block
the spray. Worked like a charm. Cheaper than
fooling around replacing the old plugs, and I'm careful when I plug
stuff in not to scratch the paint.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ng&N=0+5000559