Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Politics

Charlie Self wrote:
On Dec 19, 12:25 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Some misinformed idiot wrote:
Umm, yes it was. It was called the "war effort". Businesses
were pushed to produce war materiel, strategic goods were
rationed,
women went to work in the factories producing military products
while men of military age were serving in the armed forces. Now,
those people who were working in those factories and businesses
were making money and being paid. They had to eat and have
services and other goods. The whole economy benefited from that
effect; however, this was still being done on government borrowing
(remember war bonds?).

Yes I remember war bonds, bought lots of them, a $0.10 red or $0.25
green stamp at a time out of my school lunch money.

Same was true of my grammar school classmates.

Also remember the ration coupon books for almost everything,
especially gasoline and tires.

There was no butter, only margarine, which by law was white, thanks
to the dairy lobby.

If you wanted yellow margarine, a little packet of colored dye was
included that you could mix with the margarine to color it.

People had lots of money, with good reason.

There was nothing to buy.

All materials were directed to the war effort to support your son,
daughter, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or whatever family member(s),
or maybe the next door neighbor's kin, who had gone off to war.

If you want too spout off, then at least have some knowledge of
what
the f++k you are talking about.

Lew

16 million served in the Armed Forces during WWII, if my memory is
working. I still ahve a partial book or two of the green stamps
around, stamps my parents bought for me when I was 3-4-5-6.

Now, we get revisionist assholes stating that A-bombing Japan was
immoral, and killed far more people than necessary. Oh, yeah. And it
was racist because we didn't A-bomb Germany. True enough, but, IIRC,
Germany quit about the same day Truman was sworn in to replace
Roosevelt, who had just died. Hitler suicided that same day and that
war was effectively over. Too, I guess the revisionists haven't
heard
of the fire bombing of Dresden, nor the fears that all the top brass
in the U.S. had at the time that the Japanese were prepared to
defend
their land to the last person. I still believe that.

Firestorming is apparently Politically Correct. None of those nasty
ol' atoms involved I guess.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)