Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Getting An Enclosed Trailer...Questions, Questions, Questions

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:09:26 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2007-12-19, Wes wrote:
A front mounted trailer hitch works wonders using your tow vehicle. I always
parked F4 Phantoms in the barn using the front hitch of the tow tractor.
Having the steer wheels near tongue or tow bar makes maneuvering a piece of
cake. Not to mention looking forwards while you are doing this.

All that is needed is some practice... Though a front mounted hitch is
a very interesting idea.

No Iggy, there are cases where it is pretty much impossible to maneuver
a trailer into place using the normal rear mounted hitch. This is
particularly the case with long tow vehicles.

My first experience in trailer towing involved a 17' "travel trailer"
converted to a mobile materials laboratory towed by a 1/2 T pickumup.
I had already passed the in house drivers test and hooked up to the
trailer for the trailer endorsement (basically to ensure that I wasn't
a complete Idiot) On returning to the yard, I spent over an hour
trying to maneuver the unit back into it's slot. Finally the heavy
float driver took pity on me and spent nearly as long getting it in
place, his comment being "it sure isn't like backing a 40' semi!"
After 6 months of moving the unit three times a week I was able to
centre it with 2" clearance on either side first try every time.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

A rear mounted ball hitch inherently doesn't handle as well as a
gooseneck or 5th wheel does, and the longer the distance between the
hitch and the trailers axle(s) the better (within reason).