John Rumm

Default Router recommendation

PoP wrote:

Thanks for that - the price of the Freud is more attractive than the
Trend.

I have to admit to having blown 100 quid on a B&Q PPro 2000w router
recently:

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...55&CATID=62251

Gave it some work to do at the end of last week on a kitchen worktop.
It can't keep the speed of the router bit up (it is a sharp router
bit) even when cutting a thin channel. Doesn't hold the height at all
as you pass the router over the workpiece - it tends to pull into the
workpiece as you travel along, so the end result is a deeper channel
at the end than at the beginning. And after holding the trigger switch
in for just a couple of minutes my right hand was hurting bad.

Absolute pile of ****e - don't be tempted!

Must admit I looked at that one - glad I rejected it now ;-)

(I noted that the minimum speed was something like 15K RPM - far to fast
for safe use of a big cutter like a panel raising bit).

The Freud goes down to 8K RPM and also has a feedback speed control - so
that it maintains the selected RPM under load.

The plunge lock is very effective and the height adjustment is easy to
use as well. The only fault I can find (if you can call it that) is the
base plate liner is just made from plastic rather than the better
material (the name of which I forget) used to line the base of the trend.

--
Cheers,

John.