Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Again, I was referring to the total number of guns relative to the total
population. We're awash, no two ways about it.

We need more guns, not fewer.

You bet! One for each hand, two for the belt, a bandolier, and criss-crossed
shotgun and AR15 on straps. That's what all the well-dressed folks wear to
church these days.

We only would be awash if everyone had
more guns than they wanted.

Well, then, I want to be awash in money first. Then I'll worry about the
guns.

If that were the case, guns would sell dirt
cheap. The price of guns tells me that lots of people want lots more
guns. It's hogwash to think 10 guns per person is 'awash', if I had
that few I would be buying

I think they're about as cheap as they're going to get.

An entire civilized society in which there is almost one gun per person
(including infants, quadrapelegics, and the criminally insane) has to be as
close to "awash" as anything one can imagine.

However, you can wash in anything you want, as far as I'm concerned, and
you'll get no objection from me. The point is that Andrew is quite right. We
have a whole mess of guns. Unlike the impression he's getting from TV,
however, probably far fewer than 1% of civilian adults carry them around at
any given time. Nationwide, including the may-issue states, the percentage
of adults with carry permits is right around 1%. Most of those guns sit in
closets or locked in gun cases.

When I was a student in Switzerland, the owner of the house kept his in the
closet, too.

--
Ed Huntress