Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

In other words, you're getting a highly skewed view from the discussions
here. This is a very concentrated dose of gun-related discussion and
activity. The philosophies of carrying a concealed gun you'll hear in
this place are not necessarily odd, but they're not majority views. Most
Americans are a lot more like you in that regard. But not completely.
We'll usually make a stronger case for self-defense, even though most of
us will never encounter a need for it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

On top of that, Ed, I always wonder how many people the real
"Pro-shoot-em-up" guys have actually shot in the course of their lives.

No real disrespect intended, but a lot of this is simply tough guy talk.

Since leaving Viet Nam, I've personally been in a total of zero fire
fights. No school shootings. No freeway shoot-outs. No sniper situations,
and no domestic shootings either.

That's been 38 years now. (Golly! how the time flies when you're having
fun!)

And I live in Dallas, Texas! (Might be different in Fort Worth tho?)

That doesn't mean I'm willing to turn in my hand guns.

But I'm not going to start packing the thing to the mall - just in case I
get a chance to shoot it out with some bad guys.

In my humble experience (and knocking on my wooden head) that just isn't
a realistic situation.

I think the attitude is caused by media fueled fears (State of Fear?)

YMMV

Richard

We should pickle your post and tell Andrew to keep it on his shelf. That's
probably closer to the median attitude in the US than most of what we've
heard.

--
Ed Huntress