Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default cultured marble tubs

brent wrote:
I am doing some research for a bathroom renovation.There is a business
in town that will install a cultured marble whirlpool bathtub at a
very competative price compared to an acrylic tub. Anyone familiar
with cultured marble products and their pros and cons?
Thanks
Brent

Cannot give comparison answer but cultured marble is essentially stone
set in plastic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultured_marble

In a tub, I would imagine acrylic might have better long term stability
since polyester resins used in cultured marble are not as hydrolytically
stable. I have a couple of filled polyester sinks that have become
pitted over time where exposure to soap and water, like a sponge lying
there, have most severe damage.

OTOH with these modern tubs with all the fancy jets and plumbing, I
would imagine that that is where the high maintenance is.

Frank