Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new garage door opener

On Dec 19, 8:57 am, "Smarty" wrote:
I have exactly the same experience and situation here. Extremely pleased
with very old Genie screw drive units (have had two for nearly 30 years) and
just installed new Genie Excellerator last summer and I absolutely love it.
Extremely quiet, very fast, and easy to install.

Smarty

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:23:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I am replacing my old noisy garage opener. Any comments about what
type/brand name to buy (or NOT to buy)? Thanks.

I've been using Genie Screw drives for thirty years and the oldest one
is still going. The only things that have ever gone wrong is the
teeth in the gizmo that moves back and forth and pulls the door wore
out and I had to spend $12 for a new insert. And the transformer that
powers the receiver burned out in one and I replaced that for about
$12.

The newest one I have is called an "Excellerator" and the opening
speed is twice the normal speed of most openers. It's great. It also
doesn't need "hard stops" set for the open and close limits - the
first time it opens and closes after you install it, or any power
outage, it does a slow travel to the ends of the doors travel and
figures out the limits automatically and then it holds them in memory.- Hide quoted text -

I would point out that a new chain drive unit is going to be a lot
quieter than an old one. I have a new Sears and it's much quieter
than the old Liftmaster in the other bay. Not sure how much of that
is due to better design now, vs possibly getting noisier over time.
Belt drives are supposed to be even quieter, but I don't find the
Sears level of chain noise objectionable.