Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none none is offline

Default TV Picture Symptom

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"James Sweet" writes:

wrote in message
Hi,

I have a chance to pick up a nice 32" TV for free. Not sure of the
brand or model yet, but the owner says it only displays 3/4 of the
picture until the set warms up for 5 minutes, then it's fine until
shut down.

What would typically cause this and is it a fairly easy repair? I
have soldering skills, etc. but am not a tech.

Thanks.

Bad capacitors in the vertical section, you don't really need any special
tools, just replace all the suspects, it'll only cost a few dollars. This is
a good candidate for a beginner learning to repair TVs.

Agreed. But make sure you understand and follow the SAFETY guidelines.

Service information will also help to identify the suspect parts.
Your local large public library may get the Sams' Photofacts.

If you are very careful, you can narrow your search area by using a heat
gun on the capacitors and it will be obvious which capacitor is at
fault.
Since this requires operating the TV with the back off, do not do this
unless you are very careful and have set up an access scheme where you
can get to the capacitors and see the screen and not have to touch
anything while the power is on. Also be careful of the high voltage
on the crt which will be there even on power off.
If you are not careful with the heat gun, you will have more parts to
replace than when you started. A hair dryer may also work and have
fewer opportunities for mischief.
I did this on a TV a few years ago and the culprit was a small 10uf
cap. It has worked fine for ever since.