Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Latest Segmented Woodturning

mac davis said:

Really nice, Greg...
my brother does segmented stuff and my only "problem" with his is too many
colors..

I like the clean lines of yours and the use of color as an accent, not a theme..
(everyone's a critic)

Thanks, Mac. I've noticed your past references to the brother's
segmented work. I didn't know when I got into this that so many others
would enter the fray. The market is becoming glutted... ;-)

As for my "designs", there are many turners who overload (IMHO) every
piece with some detail or another, and I find them cluttered and
distracting. Malcolm Tibbetts comes to mind. Impressive detail, and a
whole lot of work, but just too busy for my tastes. For me, it's about
the wood, as mangled and chopped up as it may be. I spend more time
comparing the colors of cutoffs and such to find the most pleasing
blends of grain and color than I do trying to inject every possible
wood type and/or color into a turning. I'm after something that could
be considered subtle "art", not a kaleidoscope. ;-) I'm also hoping
that some wealthy industrial magnet wants to part with $500 to own one
of my painstaking creations. Although I have several on display at a
friend's local gallery, Fat Chance so far.

I shouldda made compressed horse**** pens instead. :-/

Greg G.