Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Latest Segmented Woodturning

Darrell Feltmate said:

Greg
Nice work. I do not do the segmented turnings or at least too seldom to
mention, but, since they are glued up anyway, could you not hollow each
half, glue them together and then finish the outside? It seems like a lot
less work.

Thanks again. I do mostly hollow the bottom before gluing on the
closing ring(s), but not to final dimensions. The top I have not been,
but I believe I'll have to come up with a method to ease this process.
I've got a DIY vacuum chuck, but that's of no use, and I'm not
particularly fond of double sided tape. Hot glue is a possibility,
but can release unexpectedly if you get a catch, and since I'm a
beginner, that's a real possibility. The other problem is that I glue
and true each layer during assembly to maintain absolutely level
layers. And I only have one faceplate. I don't break down the
stack/faceplate assemblies until finished because they never go back
exactly the same way, leading to the need to re-true everything.
Until I sell one of these blasted things, I won't be buying any more
faceplates either. I'll eventually come up with something...

Greg G.