Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:03:09 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Dec 19, 12:53 pm, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:01:43 -0600, Don Foreman

wrote:
On 18 Dec 2007 02:37:17 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Your otherwise decent people - what gives with this gun nuttiness?

You've been told dozens of times. Do you really need to be told yet
again? Bad people may attack us. Until they're kept in jail, don't
deny me the ability to defend my family from them. This isn't
complicated, Andrew.

You sum it up well with few words, Dave.

Yes, its a good summary of your situation. I have no issue with that.
Pity you need to, though. Glad I don't have to be armed and ready to
do the same.

You only think you don't.

Most folks here also think they don't. The vast majority of them (us)
will live their full lives turning out to be right about that. A few
feel it prudent to have what they probably won't need than not to have
what they might conceivably someday need. They each should have the
right to make their own choices. In the U.S., we do. In VK3 land,
you don't. Your choice. In VK3 land one may not even have an
incandescant lightbulb! It's easy to see why Andrew can only
understand what he is given to understand by the sensational media.

"Awash with guns" indeed. What poppycock -- and such persistent
poppycock it seems to be!

The hotbutton here is the notion of having those who don't think they
need or want firearms wanting to decide that since they don't like
them, nobody should have them. The rest of it is rhetoric from each
side trying to convince the other side. The same arguments,
statistics and rants prattle on interminably in both directions.

The U.S. originated as a quest for liberty and independence. It is
part of our culture to want to decide for ourselves as long as we
don't encroach on the rights of others to decide for themselves.
If one doesn't want firearms, he is quite free not to have them. If
another does want them, he is free to have them with varying
restrictions in various locales.

A similar degree of determination would be found if other liberties
-- religion, speech, assembly, taxation with representation, etc --
were under attack by government or special interest groups.

Some try to convince others that they should be armed, presumably with
the rationale that if they succeed then the others would stop trying
to disarm them. A more rational (and traditional) approach would
simply be to let 'em decide for themselves just as I am determined to
decide for myself.

The notion of preventing bad behavior by making it impossible to
behave badly is preposterous. Humans, Americans in particular, are
far too ingenious and resourceful for that to work. The only rational
approach is to deal effectively and decisively with those who do break
the laws we have in place.