Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default Need help drilling a heatsink

Miki,
Unless you have Cerroxxx laying around, it's probably going to be
cheaper in the long run to just wire EDM the part.
DJ

On Dec 18, 8:35 am, Miki wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a project at work, it involves drilling two .600" holes into
the backplate of a heatsink and through the fins.

On the first try I plunged a .600" drill into the base plate. When
the drill was through the base plate and touched the fins, the fins
wanted to wrap around the drill and tear out of the base plate.

The heat sinks are large surface area, but the fins are only about an
inch high. They are joined to the base plate with nonmetallic
adhesive.

Is there a better way to maintain a clean cut through the heatsink
fins? They are .050" thick aluminum. Base plate is .250" thick. I
was thinking of filling the fins with Cerrosafe... don't know if this
is feasible (e.g. Cerrosafe might just push out of the fins?)