Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Solar Heating?

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:58:25 GMT someone who may be Tony Bryer
wrote this:-

I am interested in hard facts: I write SAP Rating software.

Then you will presumably know that SAP is a somewhat simplified
process, which may just be adequate to compare one building to
another under a standardised set of conditions, but which is not any
good at working out the actual energy consumption of a particular
building. I have written and maintained thermal modelling software,
so have a little idea of what is involved.

You will presumably also know that SAP has been dramatically dumbed
down because it is "too complicated", in order that it can be
carried out by the sort of "inspectors" employed by those involved
in selling houses, in order to meet the foolish ideas of the UK and
EU about energy "performance" "certificates". In actual fact all
this does is bring thermal modelling into disrepute.

Yes, of
course there are ethical firms selling systems, equally there have
been more than a few media reports of high pressure salesman making
totally untrue claims as to what people will save.

I don't recall the "green lobby" welcoming the activities of people
who appear to have formerly been double glazing salesmen but who are
now promoting a false prospectus on solar water heating systems. If
you can offer some evidence of this there is nothing stoping you.

The plain fact is
that for most people, if you heat your hot water by gas, the economics
of a professionally installed system do not make sense.

Not if one is only considering simple payback period. However, if
one only considered that one would not install double glazing, a new
kitchen or many new cars.

It's about a feelgood factor, being seen to do some,

Incorrect. I note that the reasons for doing so have not been
countered by a convincing argument.

whereas if you want to save
the planet, paying to have an old person's loft insulated would make
more sense.

http://www.foe-scotland.org.uk/campaigns/micropower/ asks for four
things. The first of these is, "tighter building regulations to
ensure that buildings waste less energy"

Next contestant please.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh