Posted to uk.d-i-y
George George is offline

Default Handling a very heavy steel beam

wrote in message
On 19 Dec, 10:21, "Dave Baker" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi,

We are having work done on our house and it involves a big and heavy
steel beam to support most of the back of the house. It is probably
about 1000kg and 7m long (300mm x 300mm).

Firstly a quick calc shows it shouldn't weigh anything like that much.

No
more than half a ton even if it's made from 1cm thick metal. Maybe
considerably less. It's simple enough to work out if you have the exact
dimensions.

The builder and I are trying to figure out the best/ easiest/ most
cost effective way of getting the beam from the lorry at the front of
the house to the back of the house then up onto the steel columns that
will be supporting it. The beam will be at first floor level (i.e.
approx 2.5m from the ground).

Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks in advance for your help.

Lee.

It should be easy enough to roll it round the back on skates or even

bits of
scaffold tube and then use a block and tackle (or two) to hoist it.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Thanks all for your quick replies... To answer a few things raised.

1. From an access perspective, getting the beam around the back should
be fine so shouldn't need neighbours garden or over the house type
lifting - thankfully
2. From memory, the spec given by the engineer was around 120kg per M
- would that sound correct?
3. Builder has experience of this before by taking the "rugby team"
approach and then sliding it into place on scaffold poles. Given the
size of the beam and the "rugby team" required - thought there may be
an easier option

A couple of follow-up questions
1. How much would a mini crane be for a day or 2? We have another few
steels to fit so maybe renting one for the day would make these easier
too - especially if it could be used to move the steels around the
back to? I assume once lifted the steel can be rotated to be parallel
to the direction of travel and the crane can move loaded?
2. What are skates? I did a google and got some things which look
like they are parts of a steel beam making machine rather than
something that could roll over grass/ plywood
3. Block and tackle sounds like an idea but assume we will also need
to hire some support to attach the block and tackle to?

Thanks again for all your help

Lee.

Cherry picker,lot cheaper than a crane hire.
position the beam on the cherry picers cradle then just gear the cradle up
to the position and forward it into positon with the controls of the cradle.