Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ray[_3_] Ray[_3_] is offline

Default Handling a very heavy steel beam

I have just installed a 254 x 254 x 107Kgm x 9600 beam at the back of my
house for the sliding folding doors that are 8700 metres width.

This steel is a ton in a residential property and we managed to move it with
steel pipes and brute force.

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:21:31 -0000 Dave Baker wrote :
We are having work done on our house and it involves a big and heavy
steel beam to support most of the back of the house. It is probably
about 1000kg and 7m long (300mm x 300mm).

Firstly a quick calc shows it shouldn't weigh anything like that much.
No more than half a ton even if it's made from 1cm thick metal

300x300 UCs come in 7 rolling weights from 97 to 283kg/m so 1000kg is
perfectly possible.

Is this thing a complete box section then? I was assuming it was an I
beam. More calcs then. A complete box section at 30x30 cm and 1cm thick
comes to 11,600 cc/metre and at an SG of 7.85 approx 91kg/m.

To weigh 283kg/m the material has to be 3.4cm thick. I can't even
contemplate a beam of that section in a domestic environment. You could
build a tower block on something like that surely.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines