Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Handling a very heavy steel beam

Dave Baker wrote:
wrote in message

2. What are skates?

The things that machinery movers shift lathes and mills on. Like a heavy
duty roller skate with steel wheels. Your beam actually weighs about the
same as my lathe if your figures are correct and a machinery mover would be
an ideal person to ask how best to shift it.

I did a google and got some things which look
like they are parts of a steel beam making machine rather than
something that could roll over grass/ plywood

You can't use skates or scaffold tube on anything other than good flat
concrete or tarmac. If you have to shift anything that heavy over soft or
uneven ground you've got a whole new problem.

Yes: You have to lay scaffold planks down to make a railway. Not rocket
science is it?

3. Block and tackle sounds like an idea but assume we will also need
to hire some support to attach the block and tackle to?

You rig up the scaffold using scaffold tube. Maybe not so easy to support
something that heavy though. I guess nowadays you need a risk analysis and
god knows what other formalities.

Don't tell anyone.